In 1864, the Vondelstraat, named after the poet Joost van Vondel, was the first development outside the city canal, the current Stadhouderskade. The pioneering initiative of this villa area in the fresh air, adjacent to the then brand new Vondelpark, came from the famous architect Pierre Cuypers and master carpenter Hendrik Overeem.
The double townhouse on number 80, built by merchant J. Regtdoorzee, is one of the most beautiful houses on this side of the street and probably the only one by this architect. In the 1920’s, the Gebouw voor Beeldende Kunst resided at this address.
Here, REB realised five high-quality apartments, retaining the property’s beautiful original elements with the usual care and attention.